Ellerslie International Hotel and Conference Centre is committed to Responsible Tourism and the implementation of proactive measures to help protect and sustain the environment for future generations. We recognise the impact of our operations on the environment and aim to be an increasingly efficient environmental accommodation provider. We strive to minimise any detrimental effects as a result of our business. By working together we can contribute to making a cleaner and safer environment and ensure environmental issues remain a focal point and receive proper attention.
We therefore subscribe to the following environmental protection principles:
- Appointing a key team member to champion our vision and to continually review, update and communicate to all staff.
- Seek to conserve natural resources through the responsible use of energy, water and materials but also maintaining the quality of service expected by our guests.
- Monitor performance and aim for continued improvement by reducing, reusing and recycling in areas such as energy consumption, reduction of waste materials and water consumption.
- Work with suppliers who have compatible policies for managing their impact on the environment.
Examples of our everyday actions:
- Paper, cardboard, glass, plastic, cooking oil, toner cartridges
- Waste sorted correctly to reduce amount of collections to landfill
Saving energy by
- Monitoring of energy consumption on a monthly basis
- Use of low energy light bulbs
- Keytag control system installed in every guest room to control heating, lighting and air-conditioning when room is not in use.
- Re-use towels on guest request.
- Waste packaging by the purchase of bulk food items and cleaning materials.
- Lastly we will ensure that guests will be made aware of our initiatives and we will encourage them to help us achieve our environmental goals.